Renewed Life for Greyhounds
Finding forever homes for retired racing greyhounds
Basically, I am a dog like all other, but have unique characteristics:
- I've been trained to chase mechanical lures (sight trained), not live (blood trained).
- I am not a vicious predator as many people believe.
- I love people. In fact, I am more accustomed to people than most other breeds.
- I tend to be quite sociable.
- I possess superior intelligence.
- I've never had the opportunity to be a puppy, as puppies go.
- My physical size means I am a "big puppy" and quite swift.
- I am easily trained and will try very hard to please.
- I am quizzical, shy (sometimes) and very sensitive.
- I am also surprisingly gentle.
- I know other Greyhounds, but not other breeds or cats.
- I do not know how to defend myself.
- I have keen eyesight, hearing and sense of smell. Sleeping is fun.
- I have to unfold when rising.
- I like riding in cars.
- I do not bite, but I may show affection like a wolf, with mouth agape and gently grasping.
- I'll also lick your hand.
- I love with my whole body and may rub up like a cat.
- Because of my large chest and heart and my short coat, I feel the cold and should have a jacket during the winter (No dog should be left out in the cold unless a musher).
- I am used to a leash and love to walk. If necessary, I will learn to heel.
- I am happy to walk or even run at your speed.
- I rarely bark (unless it's time for our evening walk).
- I have learned to tell you that I wish to be with you.
- I am a little confused but willing to learn.
- I don't know how to sit, climb staircases or play people games. I will learn.
- I love to run (I tried to pay my own way).
- I'll be a wonderful family companion once I've learned what's expected of me.
- Check Your Vet
- Why is my vet
- Greyhound Care Guide
- Something About Me
- Things To Know
- Tips for New Adopters
- Web Links